What is the IDS Alumni Fund?
A small amount of resources has been allocated to support Alumni-led activities
What sort of activities?:
- Support professional development of Alumni and partners, e.g. skills training session; invite a speaker to address a group of alumni; a learning trip to a development project/programme
- Create opportunities for knowledge exchange and mutual learning between places, people and institutions, e.g. a mini-roundtable on a relevant issue
- Identify and consolidate cutting edge research/knowledge. This may be relevant to IDS’ strategic themes / research themes, or emergent issues e.g. run a policy/research mapping workshop, produce a collaborative piece across countries
- Leverage donations to the
IDS Scholarship Fund
- Support student recruitment and marketing
Please note that purely social get-together’s are not eligible for funds.
What do I need to include in the application to be successful?:
- Bring together a minimum of 3 IDS Alumni to engage in / plan the activity AND
- Strengthen alumni and/or partner networks OR
- Support IDS research, teaching, or communications/impact
What sort of money are talking about?:
- £250 GBP in Low/middle income countries, and £300 in High Income Countries.
- Please note one named individual will need to receive the funds and have an account with an IBAN number.
What sort of costs can I include? (note this list is indicative and each case can be discussed):
- Speakers / Facilitator / Trainer cost
- Contribution to venue (where possible venues should be sourced through Alumni contacts)
- Printing of material (to be discussed, dependent on activity)
- Transport hire for trips / site visits
- Contribution to refreshments during an activity, up to a max 25% of the total costs
Who can apply?:
- Groups of min. 3 alumni can apply
- Where an event or activity is focussed at the country level and that country has an Ambassador (see list) the Ambassador should be informed and support the activity
- To ensure the funds are spread equitably amongst alumni, and dependant on the number of proposals received, repeat applications may need to be limited to annual or bi-annual basis
What sort of things will I need to report?:
- if it is an EVENT, organisers will be expected to produce a short blog about their event after it has taken place, to be published on the IDS alumni network website and promoted on IDS social media
- if it is an OUTPUTS or PUBLICATION for producing information/knowledge the output should be submitted to IDS, along with a blog for promotional purposes
- if it is possible you should share photos of the activity
- you will need to send the alumni office a brief report on actual costs
Sounds great, how do I apply?
Sounds great, but I am not sure if my idea fits and I have other questions
email the alumni office firstname.lastname@example.org
check out Indonesia and Bangladesh alumni network success using the fund